Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Create New Columns Based on Data Present in One .csv Cell

gidHxly
5 - Atom

Hello All,

I have reports where one of the cells contains several "key/value" pairs. I'd like to create new columns where the keys from the cell will be column headers and the values will be listed beneath them.

Current data:

Form Response
Position - CSP;Role - IT Analyst;Practice/Office: - India;Region: - APAC;Contact name: - John Doe;Email:  - johndoe@email.com;Vendor contact name: - TEST VENDOR;Email: - vendor@email.com;The fees shall be invoiced  - Upon milestone;This SOW shall commence upon the (“Effective Date”) hereof  - 03/03/20;This SOW shall expire  - 03/10/20

Desired output (Not all key/value pairs are included from the above cell. This is an example):

PositionRolePractice/OfficeRegionContact nameEmail
CSPITIndiaAPACJohn Doejohndoe@email.com

I'm including a screenshot of a test document. I'm just beginning to learn Alteryx so any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Something like this should do the trick,

PhilipMannering_0-1584964605451.png

Philip

gidHxly
5 - Atom

Hello Philip,

Thank you very much for looking into this. I played around with it, but couldn't get the attached workflow to work with multiple columns of data. The logic I'm trying to put there is to use the 2nd column to generate additional column headers and also add values beneath them, and all subsequent columns should just add values, as headers are already created.
I'm including input file and output file with the desired look in the attachment. If it isn't too much to ask, would you please advise me on how to achieve that result?

Kind regards,

David

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey David.

No worries. So I think you just needed to "Grop Data" in the Cross tab tool. This will carry those columns forward.

Take a look at the workflow attached and let me know if it's what you need.

gidHxly
5 - Atom

Hello Philip,

Sorry for the late reply. This version works great. I just changed the order of columns and the output was exactly what I needed.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Labels