community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

How does the Simulation Sampling Tool "selection of fields to sample" work?

Meteor

Hello everyone,

say I have  the following data set:

ID    X     Y      Z

1    0.5    2    100

2    0.4    3    800

3    0.9    5    560

and I would like to sample with a Montecarlo Sampling the data from column X. Say I run such a sampling with the Simulation Sampling Tool with kind of data "raw data", select column X as "select feeds to sample" and select "sample entire rows" as sampling strategy (see screenshot).

So I get say "0.5" selected. I would like then to extract the complete row with all its columns. How would I proceed? (e.g. joining back with the original data set on column X is a bad option, since the data set would have more rows with value "0.5" that I don't necessarily want to select). Would it help if I choose e.g. ID also as "fields to sample"?

I appreciate any feedback!

Best

Felipe

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @ftorres,

Would you be able to attach a workflow that demonstrates exactly how you are using the simulation sampling tool (maybe include an example of your desired output)?

It sounds like you are trying to pull a sample where X is equal to 0.5 (correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case, you can use a filter tool:

Filter Tool Configuration:

Filter X Column.png

Input:

Input 1.png

Output:

Output 1.png

Let me know if you are looking for something different.

Cheers!

Hoss Carroll
Customer Support Engineer
Alteryx
Meteor

Hi Hoss,

thank you for your answer!

Actually, I don't want to filter this time.

I try to explain again that I would like to achieve: I want to sample a complete raw of data based on the distribution of a given column. If I select in the tool "Simulation Sampling" only the column I want to sample (in the example, column "X"), then I get only values from that column or though I want the complete raw (what I thought I get when selecting "entire rows" from "Select sample strategy" option). As an alternative, I take the column ID and the column I want to sample in the "Select fields to sample" option, then I just joined back on ID. But I'm not sure if the tool "Simulation Sampling" is then sampling from the join-distribution of this two columns or not (which I wouldn't like to do).

Is it now maybe a bit clear what I want to achieve?

Thanks a lot again!

Best

Felipe

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @ftorres,

I think it would help if you could attach a small dataset and an example of your desired output.

Thanks!

Hoss Carroll
Customer Support Engineer
Alteryx
Labels