Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do you structure your Alteryx Projects? Designer license only

lesliefenwick
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Alteryx crew,

Does anyone have any ideas/links/suggestions on best practices for building folder structures for Alteryx projects? I have implemented a few different designs myself but thought it would be a great question to ask the community!

My current structure:

Projects

Project name

Alteryx

workflows go here

Archive

outdated workflows here

Data

Inbound

Outbound

Documents

Any informational documents about the project

Scripts

I write python sometimes

other automating scripts

Reporting

I'm putting tableau here for general use case but I don't actively use this at the moment

Let me know what you use and/or suggestions for what I am currently using above.

- Charles

3 REPLIES 3
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Based on the design you're referencing here, There's only a few small things I would look at:

Documents

--Any informational documents about the project

Workflow

--name this whatever you'd like, concept being that anything other than a document ends up in this folder

Alteryx

--workflows go here

Archive

--outdated workflows here

Data

--Inbound

--Outbound

Scripts

--I write python sometimes

--other automating scripts

Reporting

--I'm putting tableau here for general use case but I don't actively use this at the moment

If you're using some kind of source control management software (git, tfs, etc) then the below recommendation is less applicable.

I'd also consider having a "Release" branch of some kind, so that you can do testing for changes/etc and then move stable processes into a separate location.  That way even when testing you will always have an opportunity to run the "Live" version of a workflow if needed.

lesliefenwick
6 - Meteoroid

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback @Claje

Claje
14 - Magnetar

One more thought - if you end up using Alteryx macros at any point, and are using a macro specific to a project, it probably makes sense to have a Macros folder under the Alteryx folder.  That way you can keep these in a specific spot without cluttering up your list of alteryx workflows.

Labels