Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do you embed a YouTube video into Alteryx Email with Video ID?

EmilieG33
5 - Atom

I have a list of YouTube Videos and they render as hyperlinks in the body of my email. 
Using the Video ID, I'd like to convert these URLs to render an embedded video and/or thumbnail video in the email.

Any ideas?

EmilieG33_1-1582050918706.png

6 REPLIES 6
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @EmilieG33 

This would be cool, but I'm not currently aware of a way to make this work and none of my PCXML edits have worked. There are some obstacles to getting the Composer PCXML to accept this because it is not a supported content type like text, table, image, etc

CassC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi,

to add to this, most email clients don't support embedded video at all.  You can add a youtube video to the PCXML generated by Alteryx, and Alteryx will render it just fine, but most email clients will completely strip this element.

There are a number of security reasons for this, but you might want to look into a different option, like embedding an image that is a link to a video.  Note that most of these solutions will likely require some amount of HTML, although there are lots of guides online.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@CassC wrote:

You can add a youtube video to the PCXML generated by Alteryx, and Alteryx will render it just fine

Fun! Could you share an example?

CassC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Sure, here's an example.

There are two key elements

one is the <htmlpassthrough> tag, which tells Alteryx to treat text inside of it as HTML.

The second is using the "embed" link for the youtube video, so instead of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTywTT_sQb4, you would use https://www.youtube.com/embed/oTywTT_sQb4.  You'll notice that that both links are pretty similar, basically replacing "watch?v=" with "embed/"

Hope this helps!

EmilieG33
5 - Atom

Testing now! Thanks!!

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@CassC  Awesome stuff! "<htmlpassthrough>" will be super handy in the future. 

@EmilieG33 As mentioned above, I found that emails did not support the embedded videos. I could only get the Render tool to output html files that worked correctly. On that note, I modified the module above to show how you can render that html file and attach it to an email in the same workflow.

Labels