Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How do I take an excel file with multiple rows and turn each row into its own file?

Blewis21
7 - Meteor

I'm trying to take the input excel file and get it to fit into the end file while maintaining the format of the end file. 

in other words, I want to take the cell A6 from file input and put it in C5 in the end file, cell G6 from file input and put it in C8 in the end file.. so on and so on across the row and save that as a file. 

Then, go down a row in the input file and do it all over again and save it as a completely new file. A7 to C5, G7 to C8

6 REPLIES 6
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Blewis21 ,

the End File is blank.

M.

EDIT: No, wait. One Sheet isn't 🙂

Bulien

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Blewis21 ,

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but I would recommend the following:

1. Stop using Excel, obviously.

2. Build the entire thing in Alteryx then render it as you want it to be output, then use the render tool to output to Excel.

Bulien

Blewis21
7 - Meteor

wish I could, but not possible. 

1.) this data (input file) is coming from customers as an excel file

2.) the data (end file) is being fed to an automation tool that needs the file this particular way. 

3.) thought about throwing in the automation tool (point above this) in Alteryx too, but the red tape and security clearance I would need to get is unlikely to happen anytime soon. 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Blewis21 , I feel your pain.

It would be easier to post a raw file that you get, and the required output. I found the explanation confusing...

M.

Bulien

Blewis21
7 - Meteor

If I can understand 1 cell, I should be able to figure out the rest. 

based on the picture,  I really just need to copy the value of G6 and paste it into C8 and Save it as a new file.

Blewis21
7 - Meteor

Never mind, I figured it out. 

thanks for trying 

Labels