Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I rename columns using the first half of the column values?

helenjin1
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I have multiple columns that are written in Column_Title:### format and I would like to rename the column titles using everything before ":".

So far I've tried to use dynamic rename but I don't think that would work. I also could use text to columns with ":" as my delimiter but I don't want to create 22 text to column icons.

I think using RegEx might help me but I don't know how to use it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2 REPLIES 2
john_miller9
11 - Bolide

You would want to first sample 1 row of data, then transform it so that it's a tall dataset, and then parse that field.  You can cross-tab that back as headers for your data

Rename Column RowPart.png

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@john_miller9 has the right idea with that transformation and parse! I might suggest adding a RecordID to so all records are taken care of in this process.

20190718-FieldRename.png

Labels