Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I override the truncation that the XML Parse Tool performs?

mix_pix
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I'm trying to build a workflow to audit my TWB files and am running into an issue where the Calculation strings for some fields are being truncated without any apparent reason and I am unable to prevent it from happening.

Here's an example:

The XML contains the entire Calculation string...

xml 1.png

When I connect the XML Parse tool to the Input Tool, the calculation_formula field is read in as a V_String with a size of 900.

xml 2.png

I can change this to a V_WString and increase the Size, but that doesn't seem to do anything.  The values in certain fields are simply truncated.

xml 3.png

I have to imagine that there is a way to ensure the entire string gets read in, but I am at a loss as to what that might be.

8 REPLIES 8
Aaron_dup_9
7 - Meteor

You couldnt upload the workbook by any chance could you?

Also, just because i think i know what you are trying to do are you aware of this product?

https://powertoolsfortableau.com/tools/edt/

mix_pix
10 - Fireball

Hi Aaron,

Unfortunately I can't attach the workbook in question since it contains company info.  I suppose I could try to set up a workbook using Superstore data...

I am aware of Power Tools and I think we own it...but I was hoping to be able to do this within Alteryx.  So far there hasn't been a data challenge it couldn't handle...I'm hoping this isn't the first. :-)

-Mike

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Would you mind sharing (by screenshot if that's the only way) what the configuration is for the Input and XML Parse tools are in your workflow?

Any Alteryx/Tableau users probably have .twb files that they could test on.

mix_pix
10 - Fireball

I can do one better...I can just attach a simplified workflow that you (or anyone) can point to a local twb file.  The settings are pretty straightforward and I can't see anything that would impact how it reads in the longer strings.

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

It's possible your results are not getting truncated, they just appear truncated because you're viewing the "Browse Anywhere" data, which is a sample. To rule this out you can attach a browse tool then examine the same cell that currently appears truncated.

mix_pix
10 - Fireball

I'm such a noob!  That was it...adding a Browse tool to the workflow shows the entirety of the calculation strings.  Thanks for pointing that out Neil. :-)

no trunc.png

claulvg28
6 - Meteoroid

@mix_pix  Were you able to solve it?

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @claulvg28 

It looks like it was solved by using a browse tool to view the data, rather than just the results window of an individual tool.

Are you having this problem too? Is it not fixed by using a browse tool?

Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien
Labels