Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I keep specific rows for output that don't have unique identifiers?

user12345
5 - Atom

Hello, I'm trying to take all the subtotals listed in my file along with the name of the department corresponding to it. For example, row 4 column 1 is named Car and Truck and row 10 column 1 is named Subtotal. I want to just keep the Car and Truck record and the record right next to the Subtotal field at row 10 column 2. Since I have multiple departments and their respective subtotals, I can't group by department and sum by subtotal. Besides the department name, the subtotal fields don't have unique identifiers. How do I condense down the department name fields and the actual subtotal amount? 

Any insight would be appreciated, as I'm a newbie! Thanks in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3
Inactive User
Not applicable

Use a combination of sample (skip n rows, last n rows, etc.) and select tools to cherry pick the correct row/column and rename it appropriately. Then you can put them together using unions/appends.

user12345
5 - Atom

From my understanding, the Sample tool only allows you to skip or keep certain files that are deducted from the beginning or end of the list. I'm trying to save one field, skip down past like 5 records and then save that field and continue the process one more time to obtain another department. Please let me know if I need to give further clarification/ if this isn't possible. Thanks!

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Try the Multi-Row Formula tool.  The community has many examples using this tool.

Labels