Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I input a default value for blank fields?

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I have 4 XML files I parse, union and output to a Tableau TDE file.

The union output has 3 years of data.   But, one of the XML files only has data for 2 of the 3 years.   So, when parsed that year is not a available which means in the union output there are no rows for that year for data from that XML-- then in Tableau it shows up as a blank.   How can I automatically generate rows for that missing year and default to "0"?

I tried imputation - but since the year does not exist for that XML then it can't assign a "0"

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
derekbelyea
12 - Quasar
Data cleansing tool should solve that.
hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Sorry, I don't understand how.

The problem is that some of the XML inputs for a given entry have all the years or just one of the years.  When I parse it, the rows for that given year are missing - because they don't exist.  So, how can I add them back in -- given that some entries might have them and other might not (and there is no pattern)?

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I should note, that for the ones that don't have a year -- the actual source XML skips that year (as in its not present).

rahul1011
8 - Asteroid

you can use the generate rows tool to generate rows for years which are missing.

derekbelyea
12 - Quasar

This example should point you to a solution.  The example below and attached has monthly data for four divisions (A, B, C, D) over four years (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013).

However there are no records for Division D in 2010 and for Division B in 2013.

2018-02-10_00003.png

Labels