community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

How do I find and replace a specific string in my data?

Meteor

I have a bunch of strings of 'N/A' that I want to remove and replace with NULLs. These strings of 'N/A' are in quite a few fields, so it would be too tedious to do all of it manually. I've come across the Dynamic Replace, but it seems limited to just one field.

Is there a way to replace all the occurrences of 'N/A' in one step? If Dynamic Replace is the preferred solution, how do I set it up to be applied across all of my fields?

Asteroid

Hello @kimbria7

You will want to use the Multi-Field Formula Tool for this. 

You want to select all the fields then use the formula Replace([_CurrentField_],"N/A", "")

This should work no problem. By default the multi-field replace will copy out fields, you can disable this by unticked "Copy out fields add".

cheers

chris

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

I would suggest to use a Multi-Field Formula tool.
Find attached a sample workflow.

Meteor

Thanks, I was able to do the string substitution with that multi-field formula tool.

Can you explain though what you mean by the last sentence where you said, " By default the multi-field replace will copy out fields, you can disable this by unticked "Copy out fields add"."? I'm not sure what you mean by the copying out fields

Alteryx Certified Partner

In the Multi-Field Formula tool, the option "Copy Output fields Add" is selected by default,
so for each existing field a new field would be created. You want to correct existing fields,
so you have to "uncheck" the option in configuration.

Labels