Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I convert text file with report headers on multiple pages into the right format

BC_O
6 - Meteoroid

I'm a recent new user of the tool. I tried to input a text file (read it as fixed width text file) to get it into a format like excel where I can use Alteryx to vlookup (join tool) with another input table. The text file has the report headers and dotted lines on multiple pages, I don't know how to get rid of these so that I can get the below output to run further analysis.

ItemDescriptionClassUOMSequenceQuantityUsage Value
00-30430ZLEMO CONNECTORCEA64300
000-0450-23Motor, Blower, Maxi-Tube IIBEA1008245338532.18

7 REPLIES 7
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

@BC_O 

Can you provide the actual .txt file? It would make it a lot easier to trouble shoot and find a solution if we know the structure of the data going in. 

Thanks!

Phil 

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

This seems like you need a number of steps. Bring it in as a text, all the info in one field, skip the first number of lines, then start to parse or regex it out. Could need a couple of steps to do it, but like the last poster commented. If you post the actual sheet, there are people here who could split it out. 

BC_O
6 - Meteoroid

This is the actual text file. Because of data confidentiality, I switched to another smaller text file in similar format and replaced some sensitive data. 

BC_O
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, @Maskell_Rascal . I attached the actual text file below. 

BC_O
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you @Watermark. I attached the actual text file as below. In the meantime, I will try to read up on parse or regex. 

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @BC_O 

Thank you for providing a sample file. Try the attached packaged workflow. I created a FLAT file template that splits you data into fixed width columns. From there, there was a lot of filtering and parsing that needed to be done to get the data into a usable format, but the final output looks like this:

Maskell_Rascal_0-1661793271749.png

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Phil

BC_O
6 - Meteoroid

@Maskell_Rascal  Thank you, it works perfectly. I just need to go through it to understand the flow.

Labels