Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I Import ArcPy; ArcGIS package is installed

kavink
5 - Atom

I've installed the ArcGIS package using the Python module. From what I can tell ArcPy requires an additional install.

I tried:

-Run the Alteryx instance of Conda and use the install command "conda install arcpy -c esri" -- This returns an error stating my version of Python needs to be 3.7 or lower.

-Tried to downgrade the version of Python to 3.7 using Admin and non-Admin credentials -- didn't let me

-Tried to duplicate the Alteryx Python environment but still unable to downgrade version or install ArcPy

-Tried to duplicate my personal Python instance that can run ArcPy and build it in the Alteryx instance -- the kernel shows up but it does not respond to any Python commands

I'm running Designer 2021.3.2

Any ideas/suggestions on how I can get ArcPy installed?

3 REPLIES 3
MikeN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@TessaS hey Tessa - any ideas on this one for @kavink ?

Thanks!

TessaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@kavink I think your best bet here is to install another instance of Designer and choose 2020.3 since that is on version 3.6.8.

You can have two versions of Designer on your machine - the Admin version and Non-Admin version. You can check which version you've got by going to Help > About in Designer.

The reason I'm suggesting this is because you can't change the Python version in Designer and you could possibly work around that by creating a second virtual environment but that sounds fairly difficult and still might not work. I've been trying to install arcpy myself and I get the same message you've described.

Tessa Smithers

Sr. Technical Account Manager
Alteryx, Inc.

kavink
5 - Atom

Thank you for the response TessaS!

Sounds like this would only work for designer. I hadn't mentioned before but I'd like to get this running in gallery.

As an alternative, I'm going to try creating a batch that will use my local Python instance and run with the Alteryx Command Module.

Labels