Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How change directory or file location when using InputData Tool

skurukun
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I have scenario 

where i have to pick up few .txt files from directory "C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\Queries" and load into db table.

But if i want to change the directory to "C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\ABC\Queries" without going into workflow. Meaning i have change the directory from outside of the Alteryx workflow how can i achieve this...

I am new to Alteryx. Any help will be appreciated. 

7 REPLIES 7
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @skurukun 

If i understood well, you want to use Alteryx to move files between 2 directories, right?

Try this macro, it will do the job: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Community-Gallery/Move-files-between-origin-and-destination-path/ta...

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Or if you want to change the yellow path to another path without opening the workflow, you can use a text editor to open the yxmd file of this workflow and replace it:

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1668551182177.png

skurukun
5 - Atom

Hi @Felipe_Ribeir0,

Not exactly, For example today i might be using my local directory for development. If i move work flow to Stage or PROD the directory will change accordingly then i  dont want to go into stage or prod environment to change directory.

Hope you understand my question.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

@skurukun understood!

The only way that i know to do that is using my second answer. As the workflow is a XML and it can be opened as a text tool, the job of replacing strings can be automated using Alteryx or other tool.

Let's see if someone has another suggestion.

dsandmann
8 - Asteroid

@skurukun - would be helpful to know how you are planning to run this. are you using an automation? runner tool? are you opening and running it?

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

@skurukun , here is a workflow that can open another workflow XML and change the filepath of the input tool to a new one:

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1668552611043.png

skurukun
5 - Atom

Hi dsandmann,

I want to automate the work flow.

Basically, am from Microsoft SSIS background. This scenario can be achieved by using ssis parameters. I want to replicate the same in Alteryx.

Labels