Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How can I use summarize tool, if the input of summarize is empty?

diabolic
7 - Meteor

My sub-workflow is shown like below:

question.png

After filtering, the output could be nothing. Then I use a summarize tool to count how many rows in the output, the tool also give me nothing (I need a zero or null here), if there is not data after filtering!!!! This is a big problem, since I do need to check whether there is output for this filter class.

Is there a way to do summarize (or other equivalent way) after empty data set?

3 REPLIES 3
Inactive User
Not applicable

Use the count records macro beside it in the Transform palette, that will always give you a count value, even a count value of 0 if there is no records (it will create a record)

diabolic
7 - Meteor

Hi, what do u mean by "count records macro"? Is it a tool in Alteryx? Could you give me a screenshot?

Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

It's in the Transform Toolset - you can always use the search box in the upper right corner too.

Count_Records.png

To answer the second part - most of the tools are written into the program but some are macros. (Special workflows that are created like most Alteryx workflows and which appear as a normal tool). In general you'll never notice the difference, but as you expand your Alteryx skills you can create your own macros. If you right click on a tool and it gives you a choice to "Open macro" it's a macro. :-)  

This tool is a good example: someone created a new tool when they realized that the Summarize Tool didn't give the result they needed.

Cheers,
Bob

Labels