Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How can I use filenames as variables in Input Data

franc1s
8 - Asteroid

I have a semi-unstructured data file. The unstructured part is a header section which is somewhat "free-style". 

At the moment I am using the input data tool 3 times to pull 1) 2 items from a header section and 2) pull delimited data from from the structured part of the file. So, i all cases, I am pulling data from (each) a file with 3 input data tools.

For 1) I am using the "start row", "row numbers to read" and special delimiters to read the rows from the unstructured data that I am interested in.

As such, the 3 data input tools have a special configuration each, although they are linked to the same file.

The problem arises when I want to loop over a number of files. How can I keep the input file names in sync across the 3 input tools?

Is there a better way to do this altogether?

Thanks very much in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
franc1s
8 - Asteroid

Capture_1502.PNGThanks @atcodedog05! Would this be more efficient? I didnt think of leveraging the file name, but, its a good idea, also to have some kind of traceability of the data.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @franc1s 

Cheers and have a nice day!

Labels