Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How can I remove Null cells before the first non-empty cell for each row in a table

Majao
6 - Meteoroid

Dear all, 

I am working with a data set of revenues per customer over several months. However, I want to change this table to show revenues per customer from the first month they purchased. So instead of the first column header '202001', the first column header should be Month 1, and instead of the values being the actual spend per customer in that month, the values should be the spend per customer in their first month. Example tables below: 

What I have: 

Customer 1 5020 
Customer 22  40
Customer 3 3 30

What I want:

Month 1 after first purchaseMonth 2 after purchaseMonth 3 after purchaseMonth 4 after purchase
Customer 15020  
Customer 22  40
Customer 33 30 

The data set is very large. I normally do this in excel, but there are unfortunately too many rows and too many columns. 

Could someone help?

6 REPLIES 6
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Majao 

Here's what you could do:

1. Transpose the data
  2. Filter out empty/null cells
  3. Tile tool to assign the month sequence for each customer
  4. Crosstab back out
  5. Rename fields

Luke_C_0-1647528850159.png

Majao
6 - Meteoroid

I believe that works, but notwhen there is a long sequence of zeros before there are new values again. Is that something you can help with as well? I updated the table in my question to include a number in the end after some zeros. 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Majao ,

Is the data actually 0 or empty? Important distinction, it's achievable but wanted to check. 

Majao
6 - Meteoroid

Data is [Null]

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@Majao 

Here's an updated version using a multirow formula to check. 

Luke_C_0-1647530398982.png

Majao
6 - Meteoroid

Impressive - thank you!

Labels