Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How can I merge two entirely different data sets?

Inactive User
Not applicable

How can I merge two entirely different data sets?

5 REPLIES 5
Karlo
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Inactive User,

A bit more information on this would be highly useful to exactly understand what you are looking for, but to answer your question to do this simply use the "Union" tool to merge both datasets together. You are also able to configure the column names within this tool if you select "Manually configure fields" in the first drop down.

Thanks

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Adding to what @Karlo said, you can also use a Join tool, depending on what exactly you mean by "merge".  If your data sets have the same columns and you need them "stacked" on each other, use Union (i.e. two sales files, one for May and the other for April) - if they contain the same data but aren't named the same, Karlo explains how to manually line them up.  If they have different columns but one or more fields that can tie them together, use Join (i.e. sales results in one with a sales rep ID and personnel info in the other with a matching sales rep id).

If this doesn't explain, some sample data and your expected result.  Good luck!

Inactive User
Not applicable

Thank you for both of your responses. I'm trying to combine two data sets from two different sources into one file. Both the data set has got date and time field.My Output file should contain one date and time column and all other columns in both files. To make it clear I'm providing a sample data set. I would greatly appreciate your help!!.

Data set 1

Data1.JPG

Data set 2

Data2.JPG

Output Data

Output.JPG

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Looks like Join is the tool you need.

image.png

Join on the field that is common between your two datasets, in this case that date/time field, and the "J" output will give you everything that matches between the two with all of their columns.  If you need non-matching records (i.e. a date/time in dataset 1 that isn't found in dataset 2) then add a Union tool after the Join and drag either the "L" or the "R" output to the Union.

Hope it helps!

pbugajski
5 - Atom

Hello

I am working to get Sales Oders, Items, etc.

Labels