Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How can I make my duplicate values null?

KonaCantTalk
6 - Meteoroid

I was looking throughout the community thinking this was already asked, maybe it has been and I just couldnt find it, but I was curious to know if there was a way to make duplicate values show as null. 

For example, lets say I have customer ID numbers as follows: 

Customer ID #

I would like to have one of these customer ID numbers switched to null. Not the whole row of data just the one cell, or Customer ID #.

Thank you! 

12 REPLIES 12
AndrewS
11 - Bolide

Hi @KonaCantTalk 

You could try a multiRow - I've attached a workflow which should help.

If you have more than two customer IDs you would need to amend the formula to:

if [Customer ID #] = [Row-1:Customer ID #] then null()
elseif isnull([Row-1:Customer ID #]) then null() else [Customer ID #] endif

EDIT - attached a second option using a unique tool. Too many choices!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I'd approach this by summarizing. First put a record Id on each record. Next summarize by grouping on your customer id and getting the first or minimum recordid. Now join this data back to your original data on customer id. 

a formula could now be built to null ids 

if recordid = min_recordid then custid 

else null()

endif

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
KonaCantTalk
6 - Meteoroid

@MarqueeCrew,

Do you have a screenshot or could you be a little more descriptive with this? I think this is the direction I need to head in. I tried the other solution but I have multiple duplicates of the same record and the first solution seems geared towards if you only have one duplicate. 

Also, for what it is worth, I already have a rather lengthy workflow going and have already spent some time cleaning my Customer ID column so if there is a way to do this without having to start from scratch that would be ideal.

I am new to this so thank you for your help!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I'll build one now for you. Hold on. 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@KonaCantTalk ,

I've performed this with both a FIND REPLACE and a JOIN.  The FIND REPLACE doesn't require a SORT.

capture.png

Thanks for the opportunity to solve another post. 

Cheers,

Mark

Nezrin
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

What about filtering out duplicates from the unique tool and either use a formula tool to replace to null or use find and replace ?

Thanks,
Nez
Alteryx ACE | Sydney Alteryx User Group Lead | Sydney SparkED Contributor
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

That is clever. I like that too. It is straight forward. 

for designer today, we should both be given accepted solutions. If however I'm the future this should run on an e2 engine, I'm not certain that the unique tool would promise to get the first occurrence. 

cheers,

mark

KonaCantTalk
6 - Meteoroid

I used the unique tool to filter out the duplicates originally. I just couldn't figure out how to add them back into my data set as null once I identified the duplicates. Thank you all for your solutions, I will try them shortly and let you know how it goes. 

AndrewS
11 - Bolide

Hi @KonaCantTalk

I think the second workflow I attached yesterday might have gone unnoticed, it included a potential solution which used a unique tool to split, change the duplicates to Null and then Union back the dataset. I added in an additional duplicate value to test against more than 1 duplicate. Hope this helps. 

Labels