Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How To Setup Alteryx Connector for Brightcove Video Data Download

JohnRog
5 - Atom

Thank you all for your posts they have been extremely helpful. I am very new to Alteryx and so some of the terminology can be a little confusing.

Here is what I am trying to do:

I am trying to setup a connector to Brightcove.

Brightcove It uses OAuth2 and utilizes a basic authorization process. However, I am a little confused as to what they are asking.

Are they saying that I should first use the "text input" tool connect and get authorization? Then set up a second "Text Input" tool one in the workflow to request the data?

Thanks for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

The idea is to first create a Client ID and Client Secret using the steps found here: https://apis.support.brightcove.com/general/managing-api-authentication-credentials.html

This is like a "login" for your process. 

Then when it refers to "Basic" authentication, this has to do with how it sends the information to the API. This outlines the actual process for using the Client ID and Secret to get the access token: https://apis.support.brightcove.com/oauth/guides/getting-access-tokens.html

Once you have your credentials, you obtain an access token by making a POST request to:

https://oauth.brightcove.com/v4/access_token

You must pass the following headers with this call:

• Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
  • Authorization: Basic {client_id}:{client_secret}

What this means is that you need to put your Client ID and Client Secret into a string separated by a colon.

Like ClientID:ClientSecret

Then you need to pass this field through a Base64 tool to base64 encode the string. Finally, you want to use another formula tool to create a column called Authorization that has the word Basic then this base64 encoded string so it should be like

Authorization

Basic asdlfh12414hlasd

or something similar. Then you pass this information into the download tool with the URL specified above and it will return your access token. 

JohnRog
5 - Atom

First of all... Thanks for your help! I now have an access token and a request URL. Unfortunately I am still getting and unauthorized message in the headers.

I suspect it is because I do not have the token and the request URL in the proper syntax for Alteryx and I need just a little more help. According to Brightcove, this is the final step see image. However, I am not sure what tool to use or how to duplicate the syntax.

https://apis.support.brightcove.com/analytics/getting-started/analytics-api-overview-dimensions-fiel...

Brightcove-Capture1.PNG

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Awesome, it looks like you are close! So to pass the access token into the next step you have two options. 

1.) Hard code it into the Headers tab

* This only works if your Access Token doesn't expire

ACCESS TOKEN.png

2.) Dynamically read it in from upstream

* If your workflow is successfully pulling an access token, it is likely coming in your Download Data column. If this is coming in as JSON you might want to use a JSON parse tool to extract it. Then you want to use a formula tool to make a new column called Authorization that has the word Bearer then a space then the access token directly afterwards. You would then pass this into the download tool as headers by checking the box. You will also want to use this formula tool to create the next URL where you will be querying data from. 

headers.png

Let me know if this helps! Most likely it just has to do with how you are currently trying to create your Authorization column format

JohnRog
5 - Atom

Hey Good News! We were able to work with Mike Buhrfiend of Alteryx to figure out what the issue was. It turned out to just be an issue with quotes (" ") around the access key. Mike helped us write a formula that removed the quotes and all was well.

Thanks to everyone who provided assistance and advice. Best regardsalteryx-brightcove-screen-print-02.15.20.png!

Labels