Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Hierarchy Rules for Inconsistent Data Set

felixcaspari
7 - Meteor

Alteryx Community,

I am trying to build a hierarchy with somewhat inconsistent data (i.e. one hierarchy might have six tiers and the next one only has four). Here is a mock of what I am looking for

Current

Tier 1

Tier 2

Tier 3

Tier 4

Tier 5

Tier 6

B

C

D

E

F

E

F

F

C

D

E

F

H

I

F

Desired Output

Tier 1

Tier 2

Tier 3

Tier 4

Tier 5

Tier 6

B

C

D

E

F

E

E

E

E

F

F

F

F

F

F

C

C

D

E

F

H

H

H

I

F

Here is some additional information:

• Tier 1 will always start with a numeric value
  • “F” will always be the highest tier
  • Tiers are in the appropriate order

Please let me know what your thoughts are- thank you in advance for the support.

2 REPLIES 2
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @felixcaspari, attached is a sample workflow that achieves the final output you are looking for. I am not sure if I am addressing the heart of what you are looking to do or if my solution will even process your larger dataset, but the approach built here-in may act as a good starting point.

AbhilashR_0-1589937561274.png

Please let us know if there are other nuances to your dataset that need to be incorporated in our logic suggestions.

felixcaspari
7 - Meteor

@AbhilashR thank you for the responds to the post. The provided solutions works for my use case- thank you for sharing! 

Labels