Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help with selecting rows to do a calculation

Adam_Dooley
8 - Asteroid

I have an odd one here that I can't figure out.  The data set is ordered sequentially by the first "item_number" field.  For most rows the "Amount" field alternates between a negative then positive value.  So then it is easy to summarize the values by the "Product Group" values to get the total.

However what I need to break out is the last 3 rows in yellow where the negative amounts are associated with one product group, then the corresponding positive amount is associated with a different group.  I need to identify all 3 rows in the dataset to then do further calculations downstream.  Unfortunately there isn't another field that would signify rows that *should* be related, so I have to come up with the rule.  

I believe a multi-row formula tool is required here, but can't figure out how to write the expression.  Any thoughts?

Capture.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Adam_Dooley,

It looks like you need a new grouping.  You are correct that a multi-row formula can do this.  Hopefully this helps!

New Group.JPG

Adam_Dooley
8 - Asteroid

That gets me what I need, thank you @T_Willins !!

Labels