Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help with regex sintax (replace string)

mauricio
8 - Asteroid

Hi!

I'm trying with no success to replace te string "john    wick" for the string "john wick"

The difference between the two strings is that one have a tab and the other have a space between the words.

This string are in a csv file separated by tabs, and that misplaced tab in the record causes a error "Too Many Fields in record"

I tried to solve it using:

Replace([Field], "john    wick", "john wick")

but the formula does not find the string with the embeded tab

Maybe this can be acomplished using REGEX_Replace, but I'm not shure about the sintax.

Other option wold be to ignore delimiters between "john" and "wick" when parsing to columns, but I don't know the sintax either

5 REPLIES 5
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @mauricio - I suggest you to try a Data Cleansing tool first:

ArtApa_0-1626319813388.png

mauricio
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ArtApa 

Unfortunately I can't because it will remove all other tabs that are used to parse the data into columns.

I need to surgically remove only the tabs that are between "John" and "Wick"

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

if you are looking to do a regex replace for a tab (and you are sure it's a tab)  it's something like:

regex_replace([field1],"(\w+)\t(\w+)","$1 $2") or you can do regex_replace([field1],"(\w+)\t(\w+)","$2, $1") and "Wick, John"

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Sure. Then use this: REGEX_Replace([Col1], "john\twick", "John Wick")

mauricio
8 - Asteroid

@ArtApa 

That worked perfectly thanks.

Labels