Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help with parsing JSON file

Verakso
11 - Bolide

I seem to be stuck on even start to parse a fetched json file, since I am getting the error

ConvError: JSON Parse (9): Error message: Invalid value. at character position: 0

So, as you can see, the error occurs even before I get started.

The workflow is rather simple

Simple WorkflowSimple Workflow

1. I am trying to fetch some data from http://api.scb.se/OV0104/v1/doris/en/ssd/START/BE/BE0101/BE0101S/HushallT05, by posting a request in JSON format (Number of Households in Sweden)
  2. I do retrieve a JSON answer, but I suspect that it is the encoding that is the challenge

If I save the result to a temporary file, I can see that the encoding is not UTF-8 but UTF-8 BOM, and those extra bytes in the start makes a big difference.

But right now I can't think of a workaround, so I ask the community for some assistance.

Any tips or tricks I haven't thought of?

Br
/Thomas

2 REPLIES 2
Verakso
11 - Bolide

While I am waiting for a more clever answer that this, I did some further spelunking and came up with this 

New WorkflowNew Workflow

So apparently the problem with UTF-8 with BOM is the extra bytes

So here I convert the BLOB to a HEX encoded Binary data, then used RegEx to remove those extra bytes.

And I lack of knowledge, I then convert that new HEX encoded Binary back to a BLOB, and the back again from BLOB to Text Encoded string with codepage UTF-8, and then I can parse the JSON file.....

But I hope that there is a smarter/easier way than this

/Thomas

Jbone
8 - Asteroid

Verasko,

Were you able to find a more simple work around for this issue? I have a workflow utilizing an JSON API call that has been working for over a year and just recently started throwing the same "Invalid value. at character position: 0" error. Your solution worked, but I'm not certain what caused the error all of a sudden.

Labels