Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help with messy source excel file

mb1824
9 - Comet

Hi,

I have exported data from an online CRM to excel. The file downloads as a .xls file, but when I try to connect to it in Alteryx I get the below message.

I can connect to other .xls files without issues so I assume there is something else wrong with the file besides the .xls format (I also can't open it using Tableau or Microsoft Power Query).

I have tried opening the file in Excel, then saving it as a .csv. The problem with this is that one of the fields has many (but not all) entries starting with zero and these leading zeros are not retained when I save it as a .csv file

Does anyone have any suggestions? I need the file in a format that Alteryx can connect to with the leading zeros retained

Alteryx_xls file error.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Inactive User
Not applicable

Try saving it as an XLSX.

mb1824
9 - Comet

I worked out that the leading zeros are only dropped when the csv file is opened in Excel. I can open the .csv file in Notepad or Alteryx and the leading zeros are retained

Labels