Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help with matching strings

jack13davis13
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

My apologies if this is a relatively simple question.  I'm a new Alteryx user and have been struggling with this particular problem and appreciate any help!

I'm looking for a way to compare the text in one column to see if it appears anywhere in another column, and output another column based on that check.

For example, say I have input data with text in two columns.  I want to check if the values in column A appear anywhere in column B, and return true if they do.

Column AColumn B
AppleOrange
AppleTruck
PearApple
OrangeCar
OrangeBridge

Magical formula happens

Output data.  The output column for Pear displays False since it does not appear anywhere in Column B.  The output column for apple will always display true since it appears once in column B.

Column AColumn BOutput Colum
AppleOrangeTrue
AppleTruckTrue
PearAppleFalse
OrangeCarTrue
OrangeBridgeTrue

Thanks for the help!

2 REPLIES 2
Philip
12 - Quasar

I would solve it by taking the unique values in Column B, joining back to Column A, then mark True or False based on the join.

MatchColumnBtoColumnA.png

jack13davis13
6 - Meteoroid

That worked, thanks!

Labels