community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Help with Text Box in User Interface

Meteor

Hello! I have tried reading through multiple discussions about the text input in a user interface, but I am still having issues getting this to work. I would like the user to be able to input a value into the text box (in this example it's a state). Then I would like the action to update the filter below in order to filter out for this state. I know this can be simple but I'm struggling. Any help is much appreciated! 

Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @kweekes002 

Try it again with this package.

Basically I changed your filter to "Custom Filter" and selected Browse Tool in the Interface Designer Properties to display Browse as a Result.

Cheers,

@kweekes002 

Something that I noticed is that your F3 field doesn't have anything to do with State names.

So IL, or NY will always return false in the Filter.

F3 field contains a large text.

If you want to filter records that contain these state names, you should use Contains function.

Contains([F3], "IL") in the filter tool.

Cheers,

Bolide

Hello @kweekes002,

I have attached your workflow with some modifications. What I did was three things:

1) change the filter to a contain formula (hopefully this is what is needed)

2) Adjusted the action tool to adjust for the change I made to the filter tool

3) In the interface designer properties, I made the browse open when the app is successful (you can test NY and see what that does)

Meteor

Mine still only seems to be filtering for what's currently in the filter rather than what the user inputs in the text box.

Meteor

Mine still only returns values with IL in the state. I got an error that I have an older version than what you sent - could that be the issue?

@kweekes002 

You can use debug function to see what's going on with your app and take the evidence.

swsfs.PNG

Click on "Open Debug".

A workflow will open with your Text choice. You can then check the Filter tool in this workflow and see what actually changed.

Cheers,

@kweekes002 

What's your Alteryx version? I can send you the package in your version of choice.

Cheers,

Meteor

See attached for the updated sample. I have version 2018.3.5.52487. Thank you for all the help!

Highlighted

@kweekes002 

Thing is you need to change it to Custom Filter option.

CustomFilter.PNG

Otherwise, it won't work. I mentioned that in my early post.

See WF attached.

Labels