Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help with Summarize and Append Fields tools

alechavey
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I have a dataset that contains ticket prices for multiple individuals, some of whom are related to each other.  In some cases, the ticket price is reflective of solely one individual.  In other cases, however, a family could have bought a group ticket, and as such all of the family members in the data set are recorded as having the same ticket price.

My end goal is to find all of the individuals with the same last name and ticket price, and determine how many of them there are in that group.  I then hope to divide the shared ticket price by the number of individuals such that each person has an individual ticket price (i.e. if there is a family of 5 and each has a shared ticket price of 100, I would like to manipulate this such that each member will end up with a ticket price of 20.)

Thus far I have used the summarize tool to group individuals by their last name and ticket price.  I am thinking about using an append fields and subsequent formula tool, but thus far have been unsuccessful in creating the desired output.  Any ideas as to how this can be resolved?

Thanks tons!!

Alec

2 REPLIES 2
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @alechavey

Could you just send the data straight into a Summarize and calculate both Average and Count (group by Last Name or some unique "family" indicator)... then divide Average by Count for the "actual ticket price"... finally, join this back to the original data. (See attached).

alechavey
5 - Atom

Thank you so much - worked like a charm! Using the average price simplified the process immensely, as did using the join multiple rather than append fields nodes.  Many thanks once again!

Labels