Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help with Regex syntax

lmaughan
7 - Meteor

I am a newbie to Regex and need to know if it is possible to search for a text string and then return X number of characters AFTER the string (not the string itself).  Is that possible to do in Regex?

Here are the details.

Example text stored in a single field:

Performance Obligation Line Item: ROY SUB - Memo Line: - Revenue Rule Name: IMMEDIATE - Revenue Contract Number: 350123 - Performance Obligation Number: 987654 - Performance Obligation Line Number: 1 Source Document Number: 7650008446 - So

The data I want to parse out is the number after "Source Document Number:"

Is Regex capable of searching for "Source Document Number:" and then returning the data AFTER "Source Document Number"?  I am looking to get the result of "7650008446 ".

Thanks in advance for your help on this. 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
TerryT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Is the X number of characters fixed, or do you expect to control it externally?

The simple case could boil down to:

TerryT_0-1599753249597.png

vizAlter
12 - Quasar

Hi @lmaughan — You can do it by using "RegEx" tool from "Parse" ribbon tab

Use "Tokenize" for the Output Method:

(?!.*\Source Document Number:\s)\d+

vizAlter_0-1599754888485.png

If it resolves your query Please mark it "Solved" or "Solved" with a Like. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

lmaughan
7 - Meteor

i am not getting any results, could you please check my syntax to ensure I have it correctly entered? RegExout1 column is all null.

I am assuming the {.10} specifies the number of characters to parse after the Source Document Number:

There is a space after the : and the start of the 10 digit number.  Does that make a difference?

Many thanks.

vizAlter
12 - Quasar

@lmaughan — Did you try what I answered you in your post?

You can see that it works even if number length is less or more (refer to the screenshot and attached workflow).

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Help-with-Regex-syntax/m-p/631809/high... 

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @lmaughan , I have checked the attachment there is just a minor mistake rest the syntax is correct. Please have a look at the screenshot you attached (.{10]) you have used a square bracket instead of curly bracket that is why your end result is null.

grazitti_sapna_0-1599801868299.png

Try replacing it (.{10}) it will work.I hope this helps.

grazitti_sapna_0-1599802209396.png

Thanks

Sapna Gupta
lmaughan
7 - Meteor

@vizAlter I did try the tokenize solution that you provided, but in my larger dataset -- it is parsing the first number in the dataset rather than the number following the "Source Document Number:" pattern.  I am in the process of adding more samples to the example you provided for additional troubleshooting.

lmaughan
7 - Meteor

This worked once I corrected an error in my syntax.  Thanks!

vizAlter
12 - Quasar

@lmaughan — Main thing was the expression, you can use that through Tokenize or Parse output method.

Hope the attached workflow will be helpful.

((?!.*\Source Document Number:\s)\d+)

Labels