Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help with Regex Replace to remove characters

TSP
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone, 

I have a field called "State|City" in a spreadsheet, which I need to cleanse.

I need to make sure that other than the following symbols all other non alpha numberic symbols are removed.

The following are allowed:

" " space

"-" dash

"|" pipe

I think I need to use the regex replace tool but I'm unsure how to write the code.

The characters to be removed do not need replacing with any alternative character.

Many thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
TSP
8 - Asteroid

Though trial and error I have got the following to work ...

[^"|"|"-"|" "|\w]

Could anyone tell me if that's all I need or are there any risks to using that code?

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Try using the regex tool with the following setup,

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Philip

NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @TSP , 

The most efficient way to do this might depend on how flexible / how many potential characters there are that need to be removed.  Are you able to post a sample of what a couple records might look like?

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Looks good @TSP . You just don't need to include all the quotation marks.

Dazzerman
11 - Bolide

This works :

[^a-zA-Z0-9 \-|]

Note that the '-' needs escaping with the '\' character, but you can add any other characters in the set that you don't want to replace.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @TSP 

Your logic is great, to use the RegEx Replace formula, specifying everything that you don't want to replace.

Try this function in a Formula tool. It's just a simplified version of what you've already done.

REGEX_Replace([State|City], "[^\w\|\-\s]", "")

It says replace everything that isn't alpha-numeric, a pipe, a hyphen, or a space, with nothing.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers!

Esther

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Not if you put the dash at the end.

Dazzerman
11 - Bolide

Very true! 

Thought it would be helpful to point out the idea of escaping characters though, as you can only have one a the end.  🙂

Labels