Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help with Regex Replace to remove characters

TSP
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone, 

I have a field called "State|City" in a spreadsheet, which I need to cleanse.

I need to make sure that other than the following symbols all other non alpha numberic symbols are removed.

The following are allowed:

" " space

"-" dash

"|" pipe

I think I need to use the regex replace tool but I'm unsure how to write the code.

The characters to be removed do not need replacing with any alternative character.

Many thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
TSP
8 - Asteroid

Though trial and error I have got the following to work ...

[^"|"|"-"|" "|\w]

Could anyone tell me if that's all I need or are there any risks to using that code?

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Try using the regex tool with the following setup,

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Philip

NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @TSP , 

The most efficient way to do this might depend on how flexible / how many potential characters there are that need to be removed.  Are you able to post a sample of what a couple records might look like?

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Looks good @TSP . You just don't need to include all the quotation marks.

Dazzerman
11 - Bolide

This works :

[^a-zA-Z0-9 \-|]

Note that the '-' needs escaping with the '\' character, but you can add any other characters in the set that you don't want to replace.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @TSP 

Your logic is great, to use the RegEx Replace formula, specifying everything that you don't want to replace.

Try this function in a Formula tool. It's just a simplified version of what you've already done.

REGEX_Replace([State|City], "[^\w\|\-\s]", "")

It says replace everything that isn't alpha-numeric, a pipe, a hyphen, or a space, with nothing.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers!

Esther

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Not if you put the dash at the end.

Dazzerman
11 - Bolide

Very true! 

Thought it would be helpful to point out the idea of escaping characters though, as you can only have one a the end.  🙂

Labels