Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help with Quarter Lables

Ryan_Myers
7 - Meteor

I would really appreciate some help with this, i have spent the last hour search the community but can't find exactly what i need.  I have been able to get my dataset to the following point where i have a String column that is made up of various quarters and Year ends (1Q20, 2Q20,3Q20,4Q20,FY20), i am trying to get those converted to dates but the Full Year issue is stumping me.  Normally i would just drop the FY values and create a calculated field to sum up the quarters, but in this data set sometimes i have all the quarter data and sometimes all i have is the Full Year data (this is data is from investment analysts on revenue predictions and some analysts give these numbers quarterly while some only provide total year numbers).  Does anyone have any ideas on how i can accomplish this?  

4 REPLIES 4
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Ryan_Myers,

Maybe you can just drop Q values and compare Fy values for your analysis?

Emil_Kos_0-1614363395017.png

I have filtered out all the positions that don't have FY values. Afterwards, I have created full-year values and I have union back those two data sets:

Emil_Kos_1-1614363471475.png

Please let me know what do you think about this approach.

Ryan_Myers
7 - Meteor

@Emil_Kos -

Thanks for your suggestion.  I understand your approach but it doesn't quite meet my needs.  I don't think i can sum the data by quarter and merge with the Year End values.  That would be a safe approach if i wanted to report on year end amount and if my quarter data was consistent.  But i don't think i want to do that.  But what you have done gives me some ideas on how to proceed.  I think having a column that identifies the row as Full Year vs Quarter, would be the first step, then I would just need to be able to take that quarter and full year label and turn it into a date.  Having it in a date format will be important as i will probably ultimately create a Power BI or Tableau dashboard from this data and i need clean date formats.  Any idea how you take 1Q20, 2Q20, 3Q20, 4Q20, FY20 into dates?

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Ryan_Myers,

I don't know how to parse the Fy information but this workflow should give you an idea of how to do it. It is still for string not for the date-time format but it should work for you.

Emil_Kos_0-1614367460147.png

Ryan_Myers
7 - Meteor

@Emil_Kos 

That was the idea i needed.  I think i got it.  Thanks!

Labels