Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help with Action Tool with Drop Down

MjUser
5 - Atom

Hello,

I'm trying to get a string from a drop down list to use in a downstream formula tool.  It doesn't seem that I can get the selected value.

My configuration consists of a drop down list pointing to an external file of string values connected to an action tool with update cell value into a text input tool that I have configured to have a field name data with a row value of test1. See Snippet Below. 

image.png

Configuration Details:

image.png

image.png

When I run the value Test1 is not replaced by the value from the drop down list.  Any hints?

Thanks,  Mike

3 REPLIES 3
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi Mike,

did you check the Text Input Tool or the Browse as an output of the Analytic App? I've tried it an it works fine. Run the workflow as an Analytic App and define the Browse Tool as "On Success

- Show Output to User" in Interface Designer (as in attached sample workflow).

24-05-_2019_09-08-56.png

Best regards

Roland

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @MjUser 

You may already know this and in that case, sorry for stating the obvious, but the interface tools only come into play when you run the app using the Wand.  

Wizard.png

When click the Wand, the Analytic app interface is displayed, and the values from the drop down will be used in workflow.  If you run the app using the Run button or CTRL-R, the workflow executes with the default values in your controls.  

If you want to see the output of the browse tool in the App interface, go into the interface designer, click the gear icon on the left  and then make sure the browse is selected

ID.png

Dan

Katherine_M
5 - Atom

Nice reminder to the newbie like me. I also met the similar problem that Drop Down and Action tools could have result but the result is not filtered by Drop Down selection. 

The solution is 'Operand' in the Action configuration must be selected as Drop Down/Filter setting.

Hope this is helpful...

Labels