Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help requested for Drop Down List filter

N_87
5 - Atom

Hi everyone, my apologies if this is a silly question (beginner to Alteryx here and have tried various solutions in community but am not able to get my workflow to work)

My intent is to filter a data set with 2 criteria based on user selected values in a pre-populated drop down list:

If User selects "Cornelius" , output file will only contain records with "Cornelius" values under Current Partner column and all other values that are not "Cornelius" under Original Partner column.

Capture2.PNG

For the Action tool, I am currently selecting the Operand -value- setting.

When I run the workflow my output file contains zero records, the expected results should be 2 rows of data when "Cornelius" is selected.

I have a feeling that the problem lies in the configuration of the Action tool, could someone please guide me along please?

Thank you for your time!

8 REPLIES 8
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @N_87 

Instead of changing the operand configure your Action tool to Replace a specific string: CurrentPartnerName.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The answer @jamielaird has provided is partially, but not completley correct.

When you use an action tool on a filter tool there are two areas to change, one area relates to the 'custom filter' mode, and the second relates to the 'simple filter' mode, if you choose the incorrect one, then the filter will not apply as expected.

I have shown which is which in the diagram (blue being simple, red being custom).

2019-06-25_19-20-05.png

Therefor we need to change the 'expression' (because you are using the custom filter mode) and then use Jamies advice to only replace a specific string, as in the image below.

2019-06-25_19-21-46.png

Ben

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @N_87 

You should switch your action tool to actually select the Expression value.

Update.PNG

Then, as @jamielaird mentioned, replace a specific string "CurrentPartnerName"

You should be good to go.

Cheers,

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Partially but not completely correct advice is what I strive for 😉

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@BenMoss wow, we're somehow connected today haha

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@jamielaird 

I think this meme deserves to be the solution. 

Cheers,

N_87
5 - Atom

Hi jamielaird , Thableaus and BenMoss,

The visuals were really helpful in my understanding of the action tool, the workflow is working fine now.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation!

Labels