Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Andy Uttley, Alteryx ACE, makes music with Alteryx | Math + Music

Help moving .xlsx and .pdf from one folder to many different folders based on their name

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have a workflow that takes in .csv files, formats them, and then outputs them as rendered Excel files (with differing tab names depending on invoice numbers) or as PDF files. I have them all going to a local folder on my computer and I like to spot check them, then they all have to go into different folders based on the filename. I have about 200 different folders that they could go to, and I do not want to add about 200 extra render tools to my already huge workflow.

is there a simple way that I can copy (or move) those files from the local folder so that they go to their correct final destination?

Also, I am stuck on 2018.2

Thanks!

Rob

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Please attach a sample input and expected output with dummy data to explain the problem in a more lucid way.

Looking forward to your response.

Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

You can configure the output file to be a calculated field. Attached is the alteryx workflow to demonstrate this.

Make sure that you have folder structure that is mentioned in the "OutputPath".

I hope this helps. Feel free to respond if something is not clear.

MultipleFolders.PNG

Thanks,

Vijay Kumar MV

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hi Vijay,

I am using something like that to create the initial files. They all lead to a render tool, and I am trying to avoid adding 200 additional renders to my workflow.

Also, of the files that it's reading in, all of the Excel files have different tab names based on invoice numbers, and some of them have multiple tabs as well, so just putting sheet1 will not work.

Thanks,

Rob

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hi Ashish,

I do not know how to attach an input for this. let me see if I can explain it better.

My workflow that formats and fixes my files is huge, it has 13 different render outputs that all drop into the same folder on my desktop.Large workflow.PNG

The files that it creates are .pdf or .xlsx files, and the .xlsx files may have one or multiple tabs, and those tabs are all named based on invoice numbers in the above workflow. These are my inputs.

I like having them all dump into one folder so I can spot check them, then I have an auto-emailer that sends them out to the customers from that one folder. After Alteryx emails them, I have to go in and drag and drop them into their respective folders on my computer, and generally that is about 50 different folders per day (if I waited until the end of the week I would probably have to drop them into about 200 folders). 

Drop folder.PNG

So is their a simple way to read in various files from one folder, then drop them in numerous other folders based on the Filename (my desired output)?

I hope this was a better explanation!

Thanks,

Rob

Labels