Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help decoding this XML

craigja
8 - Asteroid

https://data.europa.eu/euodp/en/data/dataset/MiFID_SI

I want to download the lit of Systematic Internalisers from the above website but I cannot figure out how to decode the XML with the XML Parse tool.  After playing about with it, its now been running for over half an hour and seems to be bringing back TB of data but the original XML is under 1Mb!

4 REPLIES 4
andyuttley
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Hi @craigja 

There may be a better way than below, but posting as you've not had a reply yet....

You can parse from either of the XML or JSON downloads on the URL you've sent. Both options below and attached

XMLparsing.PNG

Not sure if that gives you what you were after; like I say there may be a different or better way (I'm sure the XML parse tool can be used, for example...) 

Andy 

craigja
8 - Asteroid

Can you just confirm Im understanding this correctly, the child is first in the list then the parent?  So in the XML import, lines 1-6 are the child records of 7

Thanks for your help with this though, much appreciated!

andyuttley
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

No problem, hopefully is of some help (I'm new to the XML parsing tool specifically though!) 

Yes, what you've said is correct: lines 1-6 are the child records of 7.

It looks like the [_root_] field is the identifier across the rows, with [type_s] defining which is parent and which are child. 

Hope that's of some help, though I'm still trying to get my head around it myself!

Andy 

craigja
8 - Asteroid

Got it all sorted now - added a couple of extra tools and I now have a list of data exactly as I want it.  

Labels