Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help configuring Macro Inputs: Field Mapping and Optional Incoming Connections

tonyhoang
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am making a macro with two inputs.

Input 1 is a required input with a Field Map shown. I have some optional fields and some required fields.

Input 2 is an Optional Incoming Connection without a Field Map.

Both of these inputs have different structures.

The intent is to transform Input 1's data.

Input 2 is a parameter file that feeds into a Dynamic Replace. The intent is to make Input 2 completely optional, but if connected, will alter date fields in certain ways.

If I do not connect anything to Input 2, there is no error. However, if I connect a stream into Input 2, I get an error: The required field is not contained in the record, and the error references to Input 1's tool in my macro.

It seems as if my macro expects the Field Map from Input 1 to be respected for Input 2 as well. Is this a bug, and how do I get past this? Or am I interpreting the function wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Without actually seeing the macro is kinda difficult to see the possible error (at least for me)

Would it be possible to share it (with some dummy data)?

cheers

tonyhoang
7 - Meteor

Sorry for taking so long, I scrubbed the data a bit. I'm attaching the macro and a yxmd file of how it should be utilized.

This is part of a much larger macro, so there will be a lot of tools that might not matter in the analysis. Sorry for the disorganization, it's still a WIP.

The relevant tools are Tool 168 I Input and Tool 202 D Input.

I just created a simple macro (with 2 Macro Inputs directly feeding into 2 Macro Outputs) just to see if it was a bug, and that simple macro worked as expected without the error, so it's something in my workflow.

tonyhoang
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I did a bit more troubleshooting.

I incrementally removed tools from the macro, and repeatedly rechecked the workflow to see if the error went away. I did this with the purpose of trying to figure out exactly which tools might be causing this. I've whittled it down to this simple macro below. Unfortunately, even here, the issue still persists. How could this possibly be?

newerror.PNG

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Tried to download your files but they it tells me its an invalid macro. Could you share an actual screenshot showing the error please?

cheers

tonyhoang
7 - Meteor

Attached is a requested screenshot.

The I node has a field map, the field id refers to a field from the CSV input that was configured to map to another field in the macro.

The D node is optional and has no field map.

I resolved my issue actually, but I still don't understand the root of the error. I recreated the macro in a new workflow. All I did was create new Macro Input tools, copied the rest of the workflow over, and reconnected the new inputs to other tools. These inputs were configured exactly the same as their original. This fixed it. Could this simply be a bug? 

I checked the Workflow Configuration (canvas, workflow, runtime, events, meta info) and found no discrepancies between the original and the new macro. Is there another place where I am not looking?

alterror.PNG

sz640413
5 - Atom

I got a similar problem once. I was unable to figure out why.

Labels