Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help: Using Run Command tool to create a folder

Eunice_97
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I have a workflow that gives me 3 excel file outputs at the end. When I run the workflow, I would like for it to automatically create a folder in a shared drive, with the folder named as "today's date" and have my 3 excel files saved in that folder

I heard that a run command tool can be used but I have absolutely no idea about the configurations. Does anyone know how to go about doing it / guiding me with the exact steps?

Also, a side question, is it possible to do this without a run command tool?

Thank you so much!

4 REPLIES 4
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

This thread (including the -p addition in the last post) walks you through the mkdir/alteryx interface and provides a batch macro in a workflow to show you how to implement...

I think the all important link didn't post so here it is again:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/How-to-create-folders-and-output-excel...

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Eunice_97 
Just a quick sample

Capture3A.PNG

LATHROPS
7 - Meteor

Just to add something, the -p does not work (or at least for me) in the Windows environment with mkdir or md.  Instead I used the following command: "if not exist ." +[DirName] + " mkdir ." + [DirName]

The periods are there because I want the folders created at one level above "_externals". 

Now just tweaking the workflow to guarantee the folders are created before the output tries to place files in them.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey,
Just to add - i released a free tool on the Alteryx Gallery for this job:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Public-Community-Gallery/Create-Folder-Path/ta-p/928839

This uses the run command similar to as discussed above. Feel free to open the macro and see how it works (I haven't locked/encrypted the macro, so if you just want the logic it may be useful). 

The logic is simple, an explained in the source above - i use a command to check if the folder path first exists, and if not, i use the mkdir command.

Hope this helps,
TheOC

Bulien
Labels