Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help Parsing JSON Dates

iamfainny
7 - Meteor

I am struggling to convert created_at and end_time to an actual date. This data was originally in json format but was able to parse out the majority of the data except for the dates. The date fields originally came in vstring format and I cannot seem to find a way to actually make it a date. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I can include a copy of the workflow, if needed! 

Thanks, 
Michaeljson date.png

8 REPLIES 8
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@iamfainny 

Would be you able to get the original format?

BretCarr
10 - Fireball

The time fields are in EPOCH time. This is number of seconds since 1970-01-01.

Apply this on those fields:

DATETIMEADD('1970-01-01 00:00:00',[created_at],'seconds')

I’m not on my computer so give the formula a shot and let me know! 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@iamfainny 

After some research on the internet, I think this format of time is called Epoch & Unix Timestamp.

https://www.epochconverter.com/

0124-iamfainny.PNG

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@BretCarr 
OMG, look at what I have done...🙄

Anyway, you are correct

0124-iamfainny-1.PNG

iamfainny
7 - Meteor

@Qiu @BretCarr  You guys rock, thank you!  Epoch & Unix Time... I was trying to figure out what format it was in. Thanks again!!

BretCarr
10 - Fireball

Happy to help!

arpit_tyagi
7 - Meteor

@Qiu 

wonderful Explanation and it is really helpful.

Was wondering how json can be converted to normal dates and you just gave not only date but even minutes , seconds too.

Kudos to you!

Regards

fostercarly
5 - Atom

JSON does not know anything about dates. What .NET does is a non-standard hack/extension. The problem with dates in JSON and really JavaScript in general – is that there's no equivalent literal representation for dates. In JavaScript following Date constructor straight away converts the milliseconds since 1970 to Date as follows:

var jsonDate = new Date(1297246301973);

Then let's convert it to js format:

var date = new Date(parseInt(jsonDate.substr(6)));

The substr() function takes out the /Date( part, and the parseInt() function gets the integer and ignores the )/ at the end. The resulting number is passed into the Date constructor .

Labels