Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help: Parsing Fields using Character Patterns

waqaraphoto
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone,

How can I parse a field to only include Regions > A > B > C > D > E ... Z and ignore everything else before it and after the last value (Z in this case) from the example below? Z would be followed by a comma, or be the end of the string.

Thank you,

W

6 REPLIES 6
ivoller
12 - Quasar

Hi,

You can use the Regex tools or functions or Text to Columns. Can you post the expected output so we can advise more fully.

Cheers,

Iain

waqaraphoto
7 - Meteor

Hi ivoller,

Thanks for your response. Please see example of output in below screenshot.

Thanks ivoller!

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@waqaraphoto

Like @ivoller mentioned, RegEx is the way to go here. I'm not great at RegEx, but I've attached an example that should put you on the right track.

waqaraphoto
7 - Meteor

Hi CharlieS,

I have an idea. Would you know how to (in regex) show a word and show everything after that word?

For example:

Parse:

TS Portfolio Journal, Regions>LATAM, Regions>LATAM>Corporate and include everything for the rest of the string after the word Region is found? I can organize my data so that the Region list shows up last in the field. 

Thanks!

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@waqaraphoto

Sure. Just update the Regular Expression in my attached example to: (Regions)+(.+)

waqaraphoto
7 - Meteor

Perfect, that did it for me! Thank you :) 

Labels