Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Help - How to Vlook Up Results into Original File (and repeat)

jolenecox
5 - Atom

Hello,

Sorry - still getting use to Alteryx Designer!

Please forgive my terrible explanation in advance... 

I have an employee listing report with Employee Name, Employee ID number, Manager and Manger ID number - this listing is ever changing with people leaving etc. I want to create a workflow that produces a report of those who report up into a specific individual. (So 'Bobs' direct reports, their direct reports, their direct reports and so on). When I perform this manually - I filter on the specific manager ID and then copy their direct reports ID and Vlook up those ID's into manager ID etc - I highlight my results along the way and then once complete I filter on my coloured results.

I need to create this as an Alteryx workflow - does anyone have an idea how I can copy vlook up search results into my original document repeatedly? Or is there another way to perform this?

Again apologies for the poor description of my ask here! 

1 REPLY 1
Luke_C
17 - Castor

@jolenecox 

This weekly challenge has sample data set-up almost identically to what you describe and might be helpful:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-12-Creating-an-HR-Hierarchy/td-p/36740

Otherwise, could you post some sample data as well as what the output should look like?

Labels