Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help ! Change the format of the date coming from the date interface tool

Gr4c3Sult
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am building an app to automate a repetitive monthly report for a co-worker.  I am fairly new to Alteryx and I do not know SQL but getting myself familiar with it.  I am using the Dynamic input tool and pasting the SQL code from Peoplesoft to connect to the DB for the data required.  However the date format required is (dd-MMM-yyyy) and the Date Interface tool gives (mm/dd/yyyy).  I would like to use the Action Tool to change the format by using the Update Value with formula function.  I read countless date format solutions here in the community, but I am unable to modify the solutions to get my particular date format requirements.  I have also tried using the Date Time tool, but the custom modifications keep getting dropped.  Does anyone know the formula I need to use in the Action Tool?

Your help is greatly appreciated 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Gr4c3Sult,

The input of the date interface tool actually comes in the format of yyyy-MM-dd, so we can use the datetimeformat() function to convert to the output you were looking for:

DateTimeFormat([#1],'%d-%b-%Y')

I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed!

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Gr4c3Sult
8 - Asteroid

Hi Jonathon,

Thank you for the help!!  I tried your solution and many others, some would randomly change the format- just the wrong format.   I was at my witts end before posting.  I ran the workflow with update cell (default) and the format was dd/mm/yyyy... so I started thinking maybe it has something to do with the configuration of excel or my output configuration.  Ran it again a bit later and it was as you said yyyy-MM-dd.  Then it hit me like a ton of bricks!!! I am not saving my changes before running that app.  Once I used the TIMEDATEFORMAT() function and SAVED it.  It WORKED!  I can't believe how much time I spent banging my head on the wall.  TGIF!!!

Thank you again and have a fantastic weekend 🙂 🙂

Grace

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Great to hear @Gr4c3Sult, and don't worry, we all have those days!

Labels