Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help ! Change the format of the date coming from the date interface tool

Gr4c3Sult
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am building an app to automate a repetitive monthly report for a co-worker.  I am fairly new to Alteryx and I do not know SQL but getting myself familiar with it.  I am using the Dynamic input tool and pasting the SQL code from Peoplesoft to connect to the DB for the data required.  However the date format required is (dd-MMM-yyyy) and the Date Interface tool gives (mm/dd/yyyy).  I would like to use the Action Tool to change the format by using the Update Value with formula function.  I read countless date format solutions here in the community, but I am unable to modify the solutions to get my particular date format requirements.  I have also tried using the Date Time tool, but the custom modifications keep getting dropped.  Does anyone know the formula I need to use in the Action Tool?

Your help is greatly appreciated 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Gr4c3Sult,

The input of the date interface tool actually comes in the format of yyyy-MM-dd, so we can use the datetimeformat() function to convert to the output you were looking for:

DateTimeFormat([#1],'%d-%b-%Y')

I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed!

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Gr4c3Sult
8 - Asteroid

Hi Jonathon,

Thank you for the help!!  I tried your solution and many others, some would randomly change the format- just the wrong format.   I was at my witts end before posting.  I ran the workflow with update cell (default) and the format was dd/mm/yyyy... so I started thinking maybe it has something to do with the configuration of excel or my output configuration.  Ran it again a bit later and it was as you said yyyy-MM-dd.  Then it hit me like a ton of bricks!!! I am not saving my changes before running that app.  Once I used the TIMEDATEFORMAT() function and SAVED it.  It WORKED!  I can't believe how much time I spent banging my head on the wall.  TGIF!!!

Thank you again and have a fantastic weekend 🙂 🙂

Grace

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Great to hear @Gr4c3Sult, and don't worry, we all have those days!

Labels