Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Headers are not being retained after crosstab

JarodVZW
7 - Meteor

All,

I am trying to turn a date column into headers and use an actuals column as values. The problem is the column headers are not being retained so i am unable to use the column headers in the data cleansing tool or any tools after the crosstab. I can see the columns in meta data so they are there but i am unable to use them. I ran the workflow and they showed up however they disappear eventually.

Thanks in advance!

Capture1.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @JarodVZW

In the Cross Tab, any field you select in the "Group By" section of the config panel, will continue to be listed after the tool.

So, you could try adding the field you still need to the "Group By" to see what happens.

Hope that helps,

John

JarodVZW
7 - Meteor

I have everything selected except the columns i am transposing. sorry it doesn't show in the picture. the data is making it through the flow i just cant use them in formulas and data cleansing because they keep disappearing 

danrh
13 - Pulsar

The issue here is probably that the workflow doesn't "know" what the new columns will be before you run it.  To counteract this, I'd suggest using a Multi-Field Formula tool instead of a Data Cleansing.  This allows you to select "Dynamic or Unknown Fields" from the list and run some data cleansing manually, using a formula like:

Trim([_CurrentField_])

The goal is to stick to tools that allows you to select unknown fields.  If this isn't possible, see how much you can do to prep the data prior to using Cross Tab --- maybe run the Data Cleansing on the original value column instead of all the resulting columns?

If you need more specific advise, posting some sample data would be invaluable.  Hope it helps!

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Do they reappear if you re-run the workflow?  Sometimes modifying upstream tool(s) will cause downstream tools to become sort of "not current" and rerunning the workflow will remedy that.

JarodVZW
7 - Meteor

yes. but then disappear again and then i have to re select everything in the data cleansing tool

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

I think @danrh's comment is well worth considering also: it may achieve what you're after without needing to refer to the fields byname

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JarodVZW 

I understand this is an old issue, but did you manage to fix this? I'm having the same issue as you where I need to create a formula based on the new cross-tab columns.

Thanks

Labels