Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Having issues with decimals In-Database

anxs
6 - Meteoroid

Im new to Alteryx but have experience in SAS and SQL. I am trying to run a query using the Connect In-DB function. This works correctly, the query is something like this:

Select
State,
sum(Sales) AS NewSales
From
Table1
Group By State

The query works fine. If I connect a Browse Data In-DB I see the results and these match with what I expect to get. For NewSales, some are decimals. When I connect a Data stream out to export the results I keep losing the decimals. Doesnt matter if i export to a csv or create an Alteryx database. I've tried to add a select step and change to decimal, ive tried to put the SQL statement in a regular (not in-DB) input tool, ive tried creating a new variable using the formula tool so this new one is a decimal. Nothing works. The Select In-DB tool doesnt allow me to change types and when i click on the Output properties of the Connect In-DB it says that the Type is Int64.

how can I get this to work?

3 REPLIES 3
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Depending upon what database you are connecting to, have you tried to use a CAST function which would look like CAST (Field_Name) as DECIMAL (20,5) to change the field type. This may keep the data as fixed decimal through the output instead of int64.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Client Service Reprensentative 

chris_love
12 - Quasar
Can you try to Cast it in the SQL as a float?
anxs
6 - Meteoroid

this worked. thanks!

Labels