Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Have a gallery app which does not prompt for an excel sheet name

Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

Hi All,

I have an app that reads in two Excel xlsm files does some Alteryx magic and overwrites a sheet (Drop) in another.

The files are of a standard format so the two input files will have a sheet named "Data", and the output file I'm writing to has a sheet "ComboData".

My app prompts the user for the file name and I used:

File Browse Tool :Arbitrary FIle Spec *.xlsm 

Action tool: Update Value  - for the  File value.

In replace a specific string I replace the entire file name (leaving the |'Data' )

This works fine when I run it locally - no prompt for a sheet name on input or output, but when published to the gallery it prompts for table/sheet name.

Is there a way to have it not prompt for a sheet name in the gallery?

Cheers,

Bob

12 REPLIES 12
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Bob_Blackey,

I'd use a Folder Browse tool instead of a File Browse tool.  Then I'd use a text box to ask for a filename.  Using ACTIONS, I'd update the directory and the filename and take control of the sheetnames in my workflow.

The gallery won't prompt this way.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

This has been determined to be a bug. Apps should behave the same way whether run locally or on the gallery.

BrettLuckman
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Bob

Did you get any further info with regard to a fix for this bug? I'm still getting the same experience, where in the Gallery I'm always prompted to select a worksheet name when using an Action tool to load from an Excel file.

Thanks,

Brett

Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

I talked with someone? back then at Alteryx and they said it was a bug and would be resolved in a future release. I guess not yet.

I'll post it as a bug in the Ideas section.

jlefeaux
8 - Asteroid

As of January 2019, still not fixed.  @Bob_Blackey if you'll post a link to your bug post in the Ideas section I'll star it or like it or whatever.

rblack
5 - Atom

Any update on this bug? It's giving me some major headaches that I don't want to have to code around if possible.

rblack
5 - Atom

Found a few other community articles asking about this and seems like nothing will be fixed for a while, so I had to code into my action tool and tell my end user to just select any sheet. The formula I used is below

Replace([Destination],Left([Destination],FindString([Destination],'|')),Left([#1],FindString([#1],'|')))

vicloo
7 - Meteor

As of 18 May 2020, this issue is still not fixed. This has added a lot of confusion to our users.

miguelm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi all, 

This issue has been identified as bug and has been submitted to engineering for review.  Unfortunately there is currently no official date or version on when this will be fixed (DE19030).  If this is a pressing issue to meet your business needs, I would recommend submitting a case with support for further review.  

Thanks again 

Labels