community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
SOLVED

Have a gallery app which does not prompt for an excel sheet name

Alteryx Partner

Hi All,

I have an app that reads in two Excel xlsm files does some Alteryx magic and overwrites a sheet (Drop) in another.

The files are of a standard format so the two input files will have a sheet named "Data", and the output file I'm writing to has a sheet "ComboData".

My app prompts the user for the file name and I used:

File Browse Tool :Arbitrary FIle Spec *.xlsm 

Action tool: Update Value  - for the  File value.

In replace a specific string I replace the entire file name (leaving the |'Data' )

This works fine when I run it locally - no prompt for a sheet name on input or output, but when published to the gallery it prompts for table/sheet name.

Is there a way to have it not prompt for a sheet name in the gallery?

Cheers,

Bob

Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

@Bob_Blackey,

I'd use a Folder Browse tool instead of a File Browse tool.  Then I'd use a text box to ask for a filename.  Using ACTIONS, I'd update the directory and the filename and take control of the sheetnames in my workflow.

The gallery won't prompt this way.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Alteryx Partner

This has been determined to be a bug. Apps should behave the same way whether run locally or on the gallery.

Meteoroid

Hi Bob

Did you get any further info with regard to a fix for this bug? I'm still getting the same experience, where in the Gallery I'm always prompted to select a worksheet name when using an Action tool to load from an Excel file.

Thanks,

Brett

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

I talked with someone? back then at Alteryx and they said it was a bug and would be resolved in a future release. I guess not yet.

I'll post it as a bug in the Ideas section.

Asteroid

As of January 2019, still not fixed.  @Bob_Blackey if you'll post a link to your bug post in the Ideas section I'll star it or like it or whatever.

Atom

Any update on this bug? It's giving me some major headaches that I don't want to have to code around if possible.

Labels