Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Has drag & drop from File Explorer onto canvas been dropped from 2018.4?

Balders
11 - Bolide

On windows 10 with Alteryx 2018.4 I cant seem to drag and drop files or workflows  from file explorer onto the canvas. Has this feature been dropped with the latest release?

9 REPLIES 9
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

It's working fine for me, what file type are you trying to drag in ?

Balders
11 - Bolide
Everything, YXDBs, CSVs, YXMDs etc
Balders
11 - Bolide

Update, I've attached a video of the problem

Alteryx drag and drop not working.gif

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

I've tested everything and it's working fine - yxdb, yxmc, yxmd, xls, csv, json

No problems at all.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
In alteryx, If you go to help and then about, does it show that you're running elevated by any chance? That would prevent you from drag and dropping
Balders
11 - Bolide

Arghh that seems to it, cheers Pat. No idea why it was running as elevated fresh off a new install.

Garrett
11 - Bolide

@patrick_digan - are you aware of a workaround that would let me run elevated and still drag 'n' drop directly to the canvas?

Running elevated seems to get me where I want to be regarding scheduling workflows on my local machine (as without running elevated I can't start the Alteryx Service).

However I never realized how much I used the drag 'n' drop directly to the canvas functionality until I lost it.

Thanks!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Garrett I do not know of any such workarounds. Let me know if you find one!

sbahali
6 - Meteoroid

Dragging a .csv file from Windows Explorer directly onto the Alteryx Designer canvas result which outcome?

It will act as input data tool or text input?

Labels