Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Handling split input

andrewplaice
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

Brand new to Alteryx as a user (but familiar with its capabilities).  I am trying to read and separately work two areas of an excel file.

In one area I am trying to pull in cells A9-M25 and in another area of the spreadsheet I am trying to pull in  A40-N63.  Each dataset will get different treatment, but are essentially being consolidated to another workbook as an output (not much data wrangling once I can isolate the data).

What are the strategies for this?  Do I run two separate inputs and handle as two workflows?  I am sure there is a more elegant solution but can't seem to figure out how to Select two different areas of the original sheet.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @andrewplaice,

the cell ranges have different amount of columns, therefore I wouldn't recommend going with a Dynamic Input.

I'd use two Input Tools and process it in one workflow. The Input Tool offers you to import only selected ranges:

grossal_0-1588177571670.png

If this option isn't available (it's a feature of 2020.1), you could go two routes:

1) Create Name Ranges in the Excel and use "Select a named range" or

2) Import everything with one Input and separate the data in the workflow using Tools like Sample Tool or Select Records.

Hope this helps.

Best

Alex

andrewplaice
8 - Asteroid

Two inputs will work.  Thanks for the feedback!

Labels