Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Handle SQL column names with spaces

geeman
8 - Asteroid

Hello All, 

I am new to the community. I need your expert advise for an issue that I am facing...

I am trying to create a workflow with user's inputs and eventually generate a SQL query based on the input. This query is then dynamically executed against our Snowflake database. The table has a few columns that has space in between, Eg. "One Column", and my dynamic query is throwing error near the position of these columns. I am using Dynamic Input tool to run the query against the DB. Could you please help me to fix this? Thank you in advance!

Best,

3 REPLIES 3
Philip
12 - Quasar

Hi @geeman

Is the problem spaces in database table fields?

What is the database the query is running against? I know for SQL Server we have table fields with spaces, but the field names are enclosed in brackets, like this [Column One] and we have no problems. In other databases, you can enclose the field name in quotations and handle spaces.

adm510
11 - Bolide

Adding onto @Philip's comment, in MySQL, you would use back ticks

SELECT `First Name` from Customers;

geeman
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the reply, @Philip & @adm510. We are using Snowflake data warehouse and ([]) are not allowed in the query. I tried using the single quote but it was throwing error against the preceding AND condition in the WHERE clause. So I am enclosing the column name in '()' as ('Column Name' = 'Column Value') and this seems to work. Thanks for your help! Appreciate it.

Labels