Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

HOW TO REPLICATE THE SAME WORKFLOW FOR MULTIPLE SPREADSHEETS?

tolis
6 - Meteoroid

Hey guys, I have created a workflow that I want to apply to many files on excel. 

I tried to use the xlsx wildcard but I want to edit specific ranges of rows. For example I need to select specific range of data ( same on each file) and then process. As wildcard consolidates all data I cannot select the range dynamically. As such I have created a workflow that applies to only one file and need to dynamically replicate that to all the others which are in the same folder.

Any idea anyone?

tolis_0-1620835977314.png

5 REPLIES 5
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @tolis it sounds like you need a Batch Macro this would change the filepath per batch and then run the rest of your workflow. Are the sheet names the same per file or do they change?

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

This is a great scenario to create a macro. You can add a control parameter and action tool that are connected to the Input Data tool. At the end you can add a macro output. You can then save this as a macro which can be used in another workflow. You can use a directory tool to feed in a list of file paths into this macro and process each file independently which would accomplish the specific range processing that you are looking for. 

Here is a helpful interactive lesson on the creation of macros: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Macros 

tolis
6 - Meteoroid

The sheet names are the same but file names are not

tolis
6 - Meteoroid

@BrandonB @JosephSerpis  Is there a way to use multi row formula to dynamically select the range of data that I need in order to move on?

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

ok that makes the task easier as you then don't have to dynamically find out the sheet names. The learning resources @BrandonB provided will help to learn batch macros. This community link showcases the solution I believe you need (Batch Macro with file paths).

Labels